“It was so fun getting my hair and makeup done. It was beautiful. When I put on the skirt, I felt like a princess. The whole experience was awesome!”
-Kylie F., age 10
Building self-esteem through my portrait experience is what my business is all about.
As a person who experienced bullying as a child and self-esteem issues well into adulthood, having the opportunity to help build others’ self confidence is truly amazing. I will never forget the look on these girls’ faces when they saw their reflections that day. All of the moms were in the salon with their girls, and I think we all had a few tears in our eyes as we watched our girls’ reactions (my daughter Bella was in on the fun too).
The importance of portraits
As parents, we weren’t raised in the digital era. Facebook wasn’t invented until I was in college. My parents didn’t document my life on social media. We had photo albums on the coffee table and stacked up on the bookshelves. My brother and I would regularly pull out the albums to look back on warmest memories. One of the favorite things to do was look at pictures of my parents when they were kids (there weren’t many but I was so fascinated).
Now, we are raising our kids in a digital world, with many of their childhood memories being stored on Facebook’s remote server. Many people are forgetting to print these memories and it’s only a matter of time before their digital images are corrupted or lost. Children need to see their portraits on the walls of their home. We have canvas galleries throughout our home and not only do I love seeing my kids’ sweet faces every day, they love it too! If your walls are missing your children’s portraits, have a look at this cute Canon commercial: https://youtu.be/rOAiO7Q25Ng
Why are prints more beneficial than digitals?
“Displaying photos prominently in the home sends the message that our family and those in it are important to one another, and we honor the memories we have experienced,“ says Cathy Lander-Goldberg, a licensed clinical social worker and a professional photographer in St. Louis, Missouri and the director of Photo Explorations, which offers workshops to girls and women using portrait and journaling for self-reflection.
This is a fantastic article that explains the benefits on having portraits on your walls. You can read the full article here.
“Parents need to fill a child’s bucket of self-esteem so high that the rest of the world can’t poke enough holes to drain it dry.”
What is a fine art child portrait session like?
This is a day that is all about your daughter. As one little girl put it, she will feel like a movie star!
The couture fine art portrait session includes:
- a 30-45 minute consultation where we’ll take your daughter out for frozen yogurt or a hot chocolate and discuss what type of wardrobe she would like and hairstyles she likes. I’ll get to know her favorite hobbies, books, music and everything that makes her personality unique. Having the chance to get to know me will also make your daughter feel at ease on the day of her shoot.
- Professional hairstyling and light makeup by Morgan Matlock at Moda Salon
- Your daughter’s favorite snacks and drink to munch on while she gets pampered.
- Behind the scenes video filming and pictures taken at the salon (warning: you will cry when you see the finished video)
- Option to purchase the HD video on a usb drive
- 1 hour photo-shoot with 2 outfit changes
- Access to my prop closet including the infamous pink tulle skirt (as shown in the top image)
- In-person premiere viewing and ordering session including a custom designed slideshow video with behind the scenes footage along with 12-15 artfully retouched images.
- 7 high resolution digital images with print release
- A custom mobile app with the images ordered and the custom slideshow (installs on your phone/tablet and is shareable across social media)
- 16×20 wall portrait (either fine art canvas or framed print on fine art paper)
Order total can be split up into 3, 4 or 5 payments
Orders will be delivered once full payment is made
- Custom fashion illustration of your daughter’s favorite image
The girls and their parents about lost it when they saw their illustrations! Even a brother couldn’t believe how cool it was!
- 8×8 luxurious leather or linen album will all of the images from the slideshow
- Additional sizes of wall portraits (framed prints and canvases)
- Mini accordion albums
- Additional digital images
please inquire for pricing of add-ons
We will be offering petite fine art portrait sessions on a limited basis.
These sessions will take place on a pre-determined date and will be shorter than the couture sessions.
Petite Fine Art Sessions will include:
- professional hairstyling and light makeup with Morgan Matlock at Moda Salon
- 25 minute portrait session
- In person viewing and ordering session with custom slideshow of 10 artistically retouched images
- 3 high resolution digital images
- 8×10 desk portrait
- option to purchase a la carte items such as wall portraits, custom mobile app, custom fashion illustration, etc.
total order can be split into 3 payments of $225